IFS pollution from localpkg

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed Oct 6 18:37:25 PDT 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> > I ran into a build problem on my amd64 box today, where ar was being
> > fed output from a backtick operation but the carriage returns weren't
> > being converted to spaces.  After some gdb digging in sh, I found
> > that the reason for the problem was that IFS=" " was set in my shell
> > environment.

[...]
> If you are using KDE-3.3.0 an csh, this maybe your problem:

> Attached a simple patch agains Xsession

Good eye.  That machine actually does have kde3.3, being recently rebuilt.
I'm not sure the patch offered is 100% correct, but using env seems much
more portable than set.  I'm curious why kdm is messing with people's
dotfiles anyway; it may explain why ssh-agent sessions aren't propagating
into the kde environment.

Thanks for the pointer!