FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

Clint Olsen clint at 0lsen.net
Mon Nov 8 13:47:54 PST 2004

On Nov 08, Will Saxon wrote:
> I have no say since I don't develop anything, but my 2 cents is, that
> product should not be used out of principle, even if it does everything
> that needs to be done and more. The discussion I read pretty clearly
> described to me the owner's attitude; it is not an attitude I would wish
> to validate through support of the product.

I didn't realize that BitMover applied some special requirements to the
Linux folks.  My understanding was that you can use it for free _but_ your
commit/push logs needed to be open to BitMover.  I'm not aware of the
copying requirement.

However, I would avoid it not just because of the license but because I
don't like the way it works.  I use it at my job, and while it does have
some interesting capabilities wrt merging, the explict branch revision
repository requirement is really annoying IMO.

Branches are by definition their own copy of the repository.  The burden of
the management of these branches are shifted onto the user rather than
handled by the server.  You also cannot pull changes from a parent
repository until you've committed (bk term, not CVS) your work thus far.
That also irks me to no end.

Recovering old work requires a degree in higher math esp. graph theory.
"To get version blah, you must first take the tip revision and subtract out
this version, that version, oh, and that version."  As I said to our
support contact, "Put down Dijkstra's thesis and start talking to us in
plain English."

Need I go on?

-Clint