Installing on large disks

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at withagen.nl
Thu May 13 13:40:45 PDT 2004

Call me naive but I was trying to install 4 OS-es on my opteron system
2*FBSD 5.x (i386 and amd64)
2*win  (2k and XP64)
and spent the better of the last 2 days on this.

Win 2k and XP will play along and can be place on any place of the disk
Other than that XP64 needs to be last, since it is installed in an
extended partition.
EASYBOOT and GRUB will get me into the Win 2K booter from where XP64
can be reached.

Thusfar the M$ promo.

With FBSD life is a little less easy.

After several reinstalls I've come to the conclusion that installing
i386 and amd64 in 50G partitions does not work.
I did get it to work when the partions were 2G, what was my last desperate
attempt.
So I'm now lead to beliew that I need to do something like:

/dev/ad0s1a  256M  / for i386
/dev/ad0s1d  256M  / for amd64
/dev/ad0s1b  4G    swap for both
/dev/ad0s1e  256M  /tmp
etc

Which is what I'll try next.

But what I'm wondering, are the boot tools suppossed to work for
50G offsets???

In Booteasy I get something like 'error 4 lba <bignumber>'.

In GRUB I can get to (hd0,1,a)/boot/loader and execute is,
but then it starts to complain about missing kernels etc...

I'm willing to debug, and investigate ....
But I need some/a lot of guidance for this.

Thanx,
--WjW