Q's about IBM TSM (was Re: HEADSUP: ibcs2 and svr4 compat headedfor history)

Tim Robbins tjr at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 29 03:34:57 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 04:56:40PM -0500, Paul Seniura wrote:

> I google'd and didn't like what I saw.  Stuff about
> nullfs not being too kosher on -Current.  :(

There seems to be a lot of superstition surrounding nullfs, but I only
know of one outstanding reproducible problem with it in -current (sockets
and fifos aren't handled correctly and cause panics.) If you can spare the
time to experiment, I suggest trying it, then filing a PR if you encounter
any problems. There's no guarantee that these problems will be addressed
right away, but it will give others more solid information than rumours
to go by when deciding whether or not to use nullfs, and well-documented
problems are much more likely to get fixed.

Tim