fire up xmms, wi0 loses its mind

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Jun 3 12:34:10 GMT 2004

I'm sure that this is just a symptom of some deeper problem, but it's
really, really weird and I am totally at a loss as to how to
troubleshoot it.

Fresh world+kernel as of May 30.  No WITNESS or INVARIANTS, but I can
put them back in upon request.

When I start xmms to listen to live365.com, it runs fine for 4-5
seconds.  Music starts playing, then my wi0 wireless link loses its
association.

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.200 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        inet6 fe80::20a:e9ff:fe00:3301%wi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
        ether 00:0a:e9:00:33:01
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps)
        status: no carrier
        ssid GoAway 1:GoAway
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel 4 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
        wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
        wepkey 1:104-bit

/var/log/messages gives me the following:

Jun  3 08:21:28 ratbastard kernel: wi0: device timeout

There's nothing else of interest on the console.

If I kill xmms, and then ifconfig down && ifconfig up the card, the
wireless network returns as if nothing happened.

I am at a total loss on how to debug this.  Any suggestions?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
   "I'm sorry, but 'Social Darwinism' is no excuse for killing all of