API to turn off the display

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 28 17:01:32 PST 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 04:07 pm, Taku YAMAMOTO wrote:

> I wrote a driver that handles what John told.
>
> http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz
> MD5 (acpi_vid-20031013.tar.gz) = adbfa6931e505544fb784e00c7b974e7
>
> This driver uses ACPI video extension to control display switching and
> backlight brightness. So working ACPI is a requisition for this driver.
>
> Whether it does or does not work depends heavily on how well the BIOS
written,
> however, I hope it worth trying.
>
> Suggestions, working/not-working reports etc are very appreciated.

It attaches and detects the displays:
littleguy# sysctl hw.acpi.video
hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1
hw.acpi.video.tv0.active: 0

But trying to turn off the LCD doesn't work:
littleguy# sysctl hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=0
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1 -> 1

Tried to connect the tvout and activate it, but the sysctl showed 0, even
though it was displaying to the TV.  Twiddling this sysctl while the tv
out was active yielded the same results as the lcd, except it stayed at 0.

My laptop's asl:
http://am-productions.biz/debug/littleguy.asl

I'd be happy to do more testing.

--