How to fsck -CURRENT on next reboot [ext2fs]

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jan 28 06:39:17 PST 2004

Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> writes:

> Would it be legit to have the postinstall script attempt to hard link
> /sbin/fsck_ext2fs to /usr/local/..., and if that fails (because /usr
> is on a separate filesystem from /), then copy e2fsck to
> /sbin/fsck_ext2fs?

I had the same idea implemented before I read your mail, and
implementing it, I found a build system bug: LIBINTL contains shared
libraries (I'm using --enable-elf-shlibs) but is used by the static link
as well.

The problem appears to be that STATIC_LIBS and LIBS both contain
$(LIBINTL), on the assumption that the gcc frontend does the right thing
when -ldb is given, but LIBINTL contains "/usr/local/lib/libintl.so
-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib". On Linux, my LIBINTL is empty for some
reason.

Anyways, I've worked around that in the port by passing STATIC_LIBS fit
for FreeBSD on the make command line.

--
Matthias Andree