Status reports - why not regularly?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Jan 13 06:12:27 PST 2004

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:
>

>>It would be much more efficient if even *some* of the developers that
>>are working on "new-and-cool" features would at least mention it on
>>the -CURRENT list, or even send an email to the person (people?)
>>working on the report.  [...]
>>Josef already agreed to do the markup (the most tedious part of the
>>work) - so now it's just information gathering..
>>

>You must have missed the part of this thread where I said "we tried
>that before, and it didn't work".

No, I didn't miss it - I must have misunderstood it.  I thought you said
you tried having all the developers reporting all the info to someone,
and they compile it (which is what I am saying is the more efficient
method).  However, where you put the [...], I had written:
"...I know it's too much to ask o have every committer doing this - I
would never expect that, but possibly there are a few core people that
could occasionaly shoot an email out with some highlights..." and
"...Anyhow, it's a great idea, and I think the "just do it" term applies
here - start with what can be figured out, and then hunt committers and
start questioning them ("hey, what's this new thing you've been
committing a lot of lately?").. "  Which I thought clearly stated "start
writing what you do know, and then ping the developers individually
about things you don't"..  I understand now that you are saying that
method did not work either, in which case there isn't much left except
writing what he can gather from non developers I suppose.  Seems strange
that the developers wouldn't want their hard work to be known..

Eric