`top` reports all CPU states as 0% on i386

Jason George bsdlists at masterplan.org
Sat Jan 10 17:14:42 PST 2004

>This box is a fairly fresh install of 5.2-RC2, running on Pentium
>200MMX. The line from top reads as follows:
>
>CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
>
>I first noticed it when my cacti/rrdtool snmp graphs for CPU usage
>showed 0 across the board.
>
>This afternoon I cvsup'd it to -CURRENT and rebuild kernel and world.
>After rebooting the problem remained.
>
>Is this a known problem?

I asked the same question Dec 11 as I encountered the same issue.
A number of people responded in private email, suggesting that the kernel
was not synchronized properly with the userland utilities.  I doubted that,
as I always rebuild and install world when I rebuild a kernel.

In the last month, I have cvsup'ed and rebuilt both the kernel + world at
least a dozen times since that time.  The problem still exists.

My machine is a Dual Pentium Pro with a basically-stock SMP kernel, except
that I have ULE enabled.

--J