FreeBSD Crashes with AMD

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Jan 7 19:39:24 PST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 13:49, Scott W wrote:
> >Are you sure the board supports it? I mean I have non-ECC checking
> >motherboards with ECC RAM in them, and they work fine, but it isn't that
> >useful :)
>
> You should be able to find the spec sheets at least in PDF format on
> Tyans site, but from a 'summary PDF' I have locally on the 2466 (again,
> not the most recent but fairly close at ~1.5yrs old):
>
> Memory:
> 4 184 pin 2.5v DDR DIMM sockets
> Supports up to 4GB of Registered PC2100 DDR Memory
> Supports ECC (72 bit) memory modules

Ahh interesting stuff, I will definitely take a look.
Thanks for pointing it out :)

> I don't recall offhand if their BIOS currently posts ECC vs non ECC as
> part of their POST or not, but the presumed support is in there, or
> their docs and specs are completely wrong ;-)

Heh :)
That's the thing about ECC, it's hard to test unless you have a known faulty
memory module lying around :(

> PS- heh, I actually do try to use scsi for disks when possible....for

Hmm.. I get IDE disks with a 3 year warranty.. We usually need lots of space,
and SCSI is not dense enough :)
(120Gb in SCSI disks is expensive)

> that (any actually) tape drive, isn't that what $20 Adaptec 2940s are
> for? ;-)

You can buy $20 2940's?! Bastard :)
InitIO cards look reasonable, and there is a driver available..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5