problems during upgrade to RELENG_5
tim at contentspace.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 06:02:17 PDT 2004
On Wednesday 25 August 2004 13:09, Harti Brandt wrote:
The exact sequence of events I went through was , (it was my fault, but a
on a machine running 16th July current
1) CVSUP sources to August 19th current.
2) edit kernel conf to add ndis and NDISAPI so I can load driver for broadcomm
3) Make buildworld..
4) ndisconv driver ............
5) Make buildkernel, which fails because of a problem in ndis side, thinks ahh
6) edit kern conf to remove ndis options
7) make buildkernel again, all ok
8) make installkernel
9) reboot into single user, mount fs's etc
10) mergemaster -p
11) make installworld ...... fails, cannot find ndis.ko, lesson learnt,
buildworld looks at kernel conf
12) reboot on old kernel
13) make buildworld .... fails, make not working, cp /usr/obj make to
14) make buildworld ... all ok
15) make buildkernel .... fails on genatmtree ... cp /usr/obj version to user
16) make buildkernel again, .... all ok
17) make installkernel
18) ..... carry on and get full system up again
19) stop shaking :-)
It was mainly my own fault for editing the kern conf file between makes, but
it could be less fragile if kernbuilds used the binaries built either in
buildworld, or buildkernel, and does not assume userland binaries are up to
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Tim Hawkins wrote:
> TH>On Tuesday 24 August 2004 17:36, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> TH>I had the same problem without using make includes, the result of an
> TH>installworld failure. I had to copy the version of genatmtree from
> /usr/obj TH>to userland in order to be able to rebuild world to fix it.
> TH>I also had the same problem with "make" where I could not rebuild
> anything TH>untill I had copied /usr/obj version to userland
> Perhaps osreldate.h gets clobbered too early in the install process. If
> the install process breaks at some point osreldate may contain the new
> FreeBSD version already. If the user then removes /usr/obj and buildworlds
> again, the tools won't get build because Makefile.inc1 gets the wrong
> BOOTSTRAPPING version.
> Just a guess.
> TH>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 05:11:32PM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> TH>> > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Tomas Verbaitis wrote:
> TH>> >
> TH>> > TV>2) Next failure was this:
> TH>> > TV>===> snmp_atm
> TH>> > TV>cat
> TH>> >
> TH>> >atm/atm_tree.def
> TV>/usr/src/lib/libbsnmp/modules/snmp_atm/atm_freebsd.def TH>> > |
> gensnmptree -e TV>begemotAtm > atm_oid.h
> TH>> > TV>line 110: junk after closing ')'
> TH>> >
> TH>> > The problem seems to be that it is running an old gensnmptree from
> TH>> > /usr/bin although it should build and run a new one. Can you tell me
> what TH>> > is the __FreeBSD_version in /usr/include/osreldate.h on the
> system you TH>> > are trying to upgrade?
> TH>> Harti, nothing to worry about, you can safely close PR. This is what
> TH>> happens when people do "make includes" without understanding that it
> TH>> will ruin their build environment. ``make buildworld OSRELDATE=0''
> TH>> usually helps these pour souls. ;)
> TH>> Cheers,
> TH>freebsd-current at freebsd.org mailing list
> TH>To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> "freebsd-current-unsubscribe at freebsd.org" TH>
More information about the freebsd-current