problems during upgrade to RELENG_5

Harti Brandt harti at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 25 05:09:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Tim Hawkins wrote:

TH>On Tuesday 24 August 2004 17:36, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
TH>
TH>I had the same problem without using make includes, the result of an
TH>installworld failure. I had to copy the version of genatmtree from /usr/obj
TH>to userland in order to be able to rebuild world to fix it.
TH>
TH>I also had the same problem with "make" where I could not rebuild anything
TH>untill I had copied /usr/obj version to userland

Perhaps osreldate.h gets clobbered too early in the install process. If
the install process breaks at some point osreldate may contain the new
FreeBSD version already. If the user then removes /usr/obj and buildworlds
again, the tools won't get build because Makefile.inc1 gets the wrong
BOOTSTRAPPING version.

Just a guess.

harti