More ATA interrupt(?) oddities

Daniel Eriksson daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com
Sun Aug 15 11:22:11 PDT 2004

I wrote:

> Sometime during the last 3 weeks, something has changed in
> the kernel that makes one of my servers barf when hit with
> lots of I/O on multiple filesystems (like when starting
> "fsck" on all the filesystems). This used to work in the
> past, but I have unfortunately not run this stress-test in
> the last 3 weeks despite upgrading the kernel multiple times

I would like to apologize for shouting "fire" when there is, in fact,
nothing burning. After much head-scratching, some emails with Sören and Nate
and trying out a few old kernels without any success, I decided to replace
the PSU powering the discs that were causing the timeout messages mentioned
in my original email. That fixed the problem. I suspect that the combination
of rather unusual temperatures in Sweden over the last 10 days, and very
poor ventilation in the room where the server sits, contributed to the
"half-death" of the PSU.

I should have known better than to suspect FreeBSD given the symptoms (which
I've actually seen once before when I think about it), and I would like to
apologize for any time wasted trying to help me.

/Daniel Eriksson