USB issues -- dodgy motherboard?

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 8 04:36:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:55:41AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 07:32:59PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:45:22AM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > > I have an IBM machine at work with this southbridge and it happily talks
> > > to a Lexar usb key, so I suspect interrupt problems.
> > >
> > > Have you tried it after booting with ACPI disabled?
> >
> > I just tried with
> >
> >     hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
> >
> > in /boot/device hints.  The boot got this far through the process:
> >
> >     [...]
> >     uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc000-0xc01f irq 10 at device 7.2 on pci0
> >     usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
> >     usb0: USB revision 1.0
> >     uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> >     uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> >
> > and then hung.  I left it for five minutes, no activity, and no response
> > on the keyboard, so I hit the reset button.  For reference, the next
> > lines in the boot sequence with ACPI enabled are:
>
> >     uhub1: Atmel Standard USB Hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
> >     uhub1: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
>
> So here is the difference - the Atmel hub don't show up in the problem
> case.

Not exactly.  The machine locked solid before it printed the probe line
for the Atmel hub.  Trying to drop to the debugger did nothing, no
response to Caps-Lock keys, and so on.

> It's having problems with the connected hub device.
> Is this 100% reproduceable or just from time to time?

I only tried booting with ACPI disabled once.  Without the line

    hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

in /boot/device.hints, the system boots fine, but plugging in USB
devices does nothing -- my original message, at

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-April/025164.html

has more details.

With that line (following a suggestion to disable ACPI) the system hangs
at boot.

> Does the hub really have it's own power supply as it claims?

Yes.  The hub is integrated in to the monitor.  Note, however, that I'm
seeing problems with devices plugged in to the motherboard's USB ports,
*and* the hub's USB ports.

> Please retry with a USB_DEBUG kernel - in case of a broken device the
> probing may take serveral minutes - maybe we should give some output
> without USB_DEBUG too in this case.

Will do.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)