no /dev/dsp.x

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 29 17:35:39 PST 2003

On Nov 29, T Kellers wrote:
> On Friday 28 November 2003 11:41 pm, T Kellers wrote:
>
> After fighting with the laptop for about an hour this morning before class, I
> decided to wipe out the FreeBSD slice and start over with 5.1-RELEASE.  After
> that install and subsequent kernel build/install with device pcm, not only
> didn't I have any pcm line in my dmesg, but I didn't have any snd_maestro3.ko
> entries in /boot/kernel.  Just to make sure I wasn't dealing with a dead
> maestro3, I booted into XP and, sure enough, the sound worked.
>
> I nuked /usr/src and /usr/obj, cvsupped the sources and the buildworld &&
> buildkernel && installkernel is proceeding as I type this.  If this doesn't
> work --and confidence is low-- I'm pretty near stumped.  There is no
> difference in hardware (or BIOS settings) from the identical laptop running
> 4.9-STABLE.
>
> Ideas, suggesstions, rants  welcome.

	Maybe you should try 5.2-BETA?
	Also, don't include device pcm in your kernel unless you have
specific reason to, kld's should work fine.  I don't recall seeing a
dmesg or a cat /dev/sndstat in any of your posts, you should include
them.  Maybe even your loader.conf.

	--mat

--
	The state has no business in the bedrooms of the
	nation.