40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 26 13:12:42 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I don't know what Matt is planning on delivering, but...
>
> http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/opendirectory/
>
> [...]
> 	lookupd is included with the Darwin project and is
> 	documented online in Apple's Support database and
> 	as part of Mac OS X and Darwin in the form of "man"
> 	pages.
> [...]

Hmm.  Are you offering to port Mach IPC to FreeBSD as well? :-)

> FreeBSD has also been offered, at least three times, similar proxy code
> from two universities, under BSD license.

Can't speak to that, not having seen it.  Got some pointers?

I'm fine with the notion of using IPC-based directory services, but it's
not simply a question of finding a tarball and committing it.  There's no
lack of standards, APIs, etc, to pick from.  Since you're pointing at an
Apple solution, it's worth pointing out that Apple has also been in flux
on the topic of directory service APIs over the last two years, trying to
move away from NetInfo and towards DirectoryServices.  One of the things
we're still trying to address for FreeBSD is how to fit into a world of
distributed directory services where, until the last year or so, it's
really been unclear what the most interoperable and easiest to manage
solution would be.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories