hostname lookup issue

David Hill hill at phobia.ms
Tue Nov 11 12:08:58 PST 2003

Hello -

I seem to not be able to get the IP address of a site.  I am guessing its an issue with gethostbyname() and have a - at the end of the hostname...

Both mozilla and ping cannot resolve the address.  However, I works just fine using Windows and IE.  I am not sure if this is just a FreeBSD issue or not.

# ping mandrake-.deviantart.com
ping: cannot resolve mandrake-.deviantart.com: Unknown server error

wind# nslookup mandrake-.deviantart.com
Server:  ns2.attbi.com
Address:  216.148.227.68

Name:    mandrake-.deviantart.com
Address:  66.28.104.19

# uname -a
FreeBSD localhost 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #0: Tue Nov 11 13:34:21 EST 2003     david at localhost:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/WIND  i386