Nov 4 kernel broke my 115200 console.. and fix.

othermark atkin901 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 11:02:04 PST 2003

My machine was hard-locking with a kernel built from yesterday.  With boot
-s, it freezes before you can hit return for the shell.  This is a fairly
generic PIII machine with ATA hdd.  Booting with a keyboard and video
attached works wonderfully, but is a pain in the ass with a machine that's
supposed to be headless.

This was working fine on the serial console before the interrupt and APIC_IO
commits.

It guess (*) I needed these in the kernel config, by adding

options       SMP
device        apic
device        acpi

into my config it now boots up via serial console.  *NOTE: I didn't think I
had to bother with the note in UPDATING before since IO_APIC was commented
out in my previous kernel config and acpi had been disabled.

just a FYI for anyone else who might be lurking/searching the current list
with the same problem.
--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com