Who is responsible for the install check goo in Makefile.inc1

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 30 00:37:59 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 05:34:01PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:24:42AM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > I'm regularly upgrading 4.0-RELEASE to 5.x-CURRENT to check that
> > the upgrade path wasn't broken, and this check comes very handy.
> > I wouldn't object though if it was done using kern.osreldate.
> >
> > I'd happily test any patches in this direction for you, John.
>
> Thanks. Since Peter made the change, I'd like to wait for him to comment
> on the code I sent him that would avoid the core dump. I think that running
> sh as a final check is valid, but I'd like to see a 'probable' case checked
> first and an message printed accordingly before making the core dump as a
> last resort (in favour of shooting the whole foot off - one toe is better
> than the whole foot!).

Sure, that would be a much better (and safer) approach.  Could you
please send me your code as well, I'm interested in revieweing it.

P.S.  Nice to see you're still in the FreeBSD business.  :-)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru at sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,