escalation stage 2 [was:RE: Big and ugly bug in 5.1-release]

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Wed Jul 16 02:27:11 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> Now after resetting the machine which was hung by "sysinstall" it claims
> that ad4 (one of two mirrored 30GB 2.5" disks" was absent (see dmesg below)
> Now the controller warns me that one drive is bad (which in fact is
> definatley not) and allows me to select "continue boot"

Did you try to replace that defective drive?

> That's what I do and after kernel probing the machine reboots with the
> folowing error (well, this takes some time to typewrite it from my monchrome
> screen):

> fault virtual address = 0x10
> fault code=			supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pinter=	0x8:0xc014a0a6
> stack pointer=		0x10:0xcce65bd8
> frame pointer=		0x10:0xcce65c58
> code	segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
> 				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process		= 4(g_down)
> trap number			= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> Then it reboots!

Can you get a coredump and a backtrace? That would be very helpful in
debugging.

> Now please give me a hint what to do. This is my brand new fileserver which
> collected all improtant data from the last decade and since it's brand new I
> didn't manage any backup.

Funny, there's always an excuse why there are no backups.

> When testing the hardware (unplugging one drive while the machine was
> running) I had the same error but I thought that would never happen under
> normal circumstances.

Well, if you did run tests and saw the errors, why did you think it
wouldn't happen "under normal circumstances"?

IMHO it would be better if you start over with a clean machine and two new
disks. Sounds very much like you damaged the drive.

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)       Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universität Wien                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/