escalation stage 2 [was:RE: Big and ugly bug in 5.1-release]

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Jul 15 19:01:44 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> Now after resetting the machine which was hung by "sysinstall" it claims
> that ad4 (one of two mirrored 30GB 2.5" disks" was absent (see dmesg below)

mirrored by what?

> Now the controller warns me that one drive is bad (which in fact is
> definatley not) and allows me to select "continue boot"

Th controller is not controlled by FreeBSD.
If the controller says the drive is bad when you are in the BIOS,
Then it is bad.

> That's what I do and after kernel probing the machine reboots with the
> folowing error (well, this takes some time to typewrite it from my monchrome
> screen):

If you have another computer nearby, connect the serial cables together
(with a null-modem cable) and put

console="comconsole"

in file
/boot/loader.conf

then your output will occur on the serial port .
then you will not have to type in the information.

> fault virtual address = 0x10
> fault code=			supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pinter=	0x8:0xc014a0a6
> stack pointer=		0x10:0xcce65bd8
> frame pointer=		0x10:0xcce65c58
> code	segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
> 				= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> current process		= 4(g_down)
> trap number			= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> Then it reboots!
>
> Now please give me a hint what to do. This is my brand new fileserver which
> collected all improtant data from the last decade and since it's brand new I
> didn't manage any backup.
> When testing the hardware (unplugging one drive while the machine was
> running) I had the same error but I thought that would never happen under
> normal circumstances.
>
> If sysinstall breakes a RAID1 server 5.1-RELEASE should be immediately
> replaced by a corrected version!!!!!

FreeBSD 5.1 is a 'testing' release. you are warned not to use it for
production. If you do use it you must know how to upgrade your system
from there to correct bugs that may occur.

The message above comes from 'geom' which is the disk
handling code. It has had some work done recently so it may be that the
author (phk at freebsd.org) can help you, but it seens to me that you may
really have a disk problem.