ULE Interactivity perf patch

Peter Schultz pmes at bis.midco.net
Fri Dec 19 08:54:41 PST 2003

Jeff Roberson wrote:
> I realized a pitfal in the way that I'm doing slice assignment for
> interactive tasks.  I'd like to have as many people test this as possible,
> in case there are unintended consequences.  What this patch does is allow
> interactive tasks to have longer time-slices so that they may be more
> efficient.
>
> This patch is intended to fix the poor performance of some interactive
> processes while under high load, especially high load with other
> interactive tasks present.
>
> http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/interact.diff

On this dual PII 350 box `make -j 11 buildworld', playing an mp3 with
xmms and unarchiving two separate mozilla distros can cause quite an
interactivity problem.  At a more moderate system load things are quite
usable.  It's still not BeOS, but BeOS never had the kind of i/o that
FreeBSD has, so I think things are going fairly well.

Pete...