sound problems

Josh Taylor bludstayne at phreaker.net
Wed Dec 17 13:55:18 PST 2003

I have a problem with audio in FreeBSD 5.2-RC1. I am trying to use my
C-Media on-board AC97 sound, but it doesn't work. I recompiled the
kernel and put "device pcm" in it, and I put "snd_driver_load="YES"" in
my boot loader config file. When it loads, it detects the sound and
loads it, but whenever I go to play anything, I get no output from the
speakers. I even tried using "kldload snd_driver" and it doesn't work.
It loads it correctly, but doesn't play anything. My output from "grep
pcm /var/run/dmesg.boot" returns two devices. One of them is SiS 7000
and one is C-Media AC97. I don't know what the SiS 7000 is doing there,
but the C-Media thing is correct. I used FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE and the
sound worked correctly. I think it's something with "options PNPBIOS".
4.9 would let you use that option, but 5.2 says that it is an invalid
option. I think that's the problem.