headless cluster install

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at offmyserver.com
Fri Apr 1 21:35:44 PST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 08:00:44PM -0500, c0ldbyte wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Understudy wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am attempting to do a headless install with FreeBSD 5.3. The handbook is
> >out of date on this. %.3 has a boot.flp and two kern.flp . The handbook
> >asks you to do a echo "/boot/loader -h" > boot.config to the kern.flp but
> >that is not the first floppy in 5.3 boot.flp is. So I tried it with
> >boot.flp and it did not work. My question is very specific.
> >
> >How can I configure the boot.flp to successfully do a headless install?
> >
> >It is not desirable to remove the hard drive, and place it another
> >machine, and try to copy it that way.
> >

> >Sincerely,
> >Brendhan
>
> Located at:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.4-BETA1/floppies/README.TXT
> Section: 1.5.6 Tips for Serial Console Users.

[snip]

> Does that solve your problem or give you a hint of what to do ?
>
> Best regards,
> 	--c0ldbyte

I think he's more wondering about creating a kickstart
installation with sysinstall. The creation of scripts for these
kinds of installs are detailed in the sysinstall(8) manpage. I
also believe that there are several links from google that
discuss this as well if you search for various combinations of
``sysinstall headless kickstart'' and / or other relevant word
combinations.

Specifically, take a look at the LOAD_CONFIG_FILE section of the
sysinstall(8) page. This should at least give you a pretty good
idea of where to start and how to configure the installation.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell