Clustering options

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Tue Nov 23 00:42:42 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:09, Matt Olander wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 04:11:26PM -0800, Justin Hopper wrote:
> > I was waiting for some activity on this list so that I wouldn't just
> > join and blurt out a question, but so far I haven't seen any messages on
> > this list.
>
> yeah, it's pretty quiet on here ;)
>
> > My question is pretty general: what hardware clustering options are
> > there for FreeBSD?  I was looking at the Appro Clustering product that
> > they have, but they list only Linux and Windoze as supported OSes.  I
> > scoured their site looking for documentation on exactly how their
> > clustering appliance works, like how it actually presents itself to the
> > OS as a unified piece of hardware, but I could find no documentation at
> > this level.  The idea of using a blade-style system seems appealing, if
> > it worked in FreeBSD, which is the only operating system that we use for
> > production servers.
>
> hmmm...my company resells Intel's blade solution, which is the one that
> was co-developed with IBM. but it's not really a 'hardware clustering'
> option. what are you trying to get it to do? are you looking for
> computational clustering, or high availability?

My term of "hardware clustering" might have been incorrect.  I'm looking
more for high availability, but a large pool of resources would be
beneficial as well.  It would be ideal to have a system where you can
add new blades as more resources become necessary, instead of adding
individual servers which each run their own OS and have their own pool
of resources.

--
Justin Hopper  <jhopper at bsdhosting.net>
UNIX Systems Engineer