Leaving the group

Allen all at biosys.net
Sat Jun 12 01:14:55 GMT 2004

I suppose I'm going to play the badguy and step up now.  This thread is
tiresome.  Andy, do whatever you wish with your work, I'm not going to be
one of the people begging you to keep working and keep it Free.

What I saw here was simply someone asking about HA clustering, and a simple
response along the lines of "check out this website" for a website that
wasn't yours, at which point you flew off the handle about people not
reading the list, and not supporting "projects grounded in the freebsd
world."  You apparently feel slighted that a website/project other than
yours was mentioned, or even exists.

After seeing both links here and checking them out, I come away with the
impression that you have a very new project (I know you said 1997, I'm
talking impressions) and that you're the only person involved in it.

The website has almost on information at all on just what your software is
or what it does, scarily minimal documentation in the form of the INSTALL
file, and a download link.

The other project by contrast has a great deal more information, how to use
it, what the goals are, and so on neatly outlined on the site.

I'm not talking at all about the "pretty" factor, simply the information
content, which (at least at the moment) is sorely lacking from your end.

If this has not always been the case, and is being fixed soon, then this is
all moot.  If however this is how it's "always been", I can perfectly
understand why your work may be seemingly ignored, and why it wouldn't have
made a memorable impression on me even if I had seen it in the past.  Right
now, first impression is "Here's a patch for some version of FreeBSD, you
figure out which.  It's cool, try it, tell me if you like what it does."

Now, all that aside, you've really, in my eyes, come off as the bad guy
here.  To run the risk of a great insult, you sound rather "microsoftish"
in your response -- angry that your project has any competition,
threatening to pull out if that competition doesn't go away.

I'm as certain that this isn't the impression that you meant to give as I
am that it is indeed the impression that you gave, and impressions are all
that matter (other than marketing) when it comes to getting projects moving.

So yeah, do whatever you like with your project.  If you want to go
"private" with it, that's your choice.  If you want to keep it out in the
open, your choice as well, but I advise something of an attitude adjustment.

Competition and choice are the very heart of what the FreeBSD project is
all about, and you seem to have lost sight of that.

-Allen