Curious...how often do *you* portupgrade(1) ?

Peter McGarvey fbsd-x at packet.org.uk
Sat Feb 14 09:24:00 PST 2004

* Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. <kdk at daleco.biz> [2004-02-11 23:10:50 GMT]:
> Running a desktop box with a dialup PPP connection
> to the 'Net, my "portupgrade -aRr" tends to take a
> couple of days ....
>
> I'd taken to dealing with it once a month.
>
> It occurs to me that it might actually be less
> painful to do it more often ...

I run cvsup and portsclean from cron every night.  And I add this:

    weekly_status_pkg_enable="YES"

to /etc/periodic.conf to add a package status report to the weekly
reports... and I actually /read/ the reports.

Then I do a port upgrade when the number of non-important packages pass
a fuzzy threshold (about 5 usually - more if I'm feeling lazy, less if
I'm feeling keen).  If it's something important (like, say, an exim
upgrade on a core mail server) I upgrade everything else a day or so
before, and upgrade the important stuff by itself.  But I never upgrade
the important stuff without checking the CVS logs to see why a port has
been upgraded.

If I'm starting work on a box I'll run

    /etc/periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg

Manually to see if there are any out of date ports which could have any
relevance to what I'm about to do.  If there are I'll upgrade them.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey
Freelance FreeBSD Hacker