RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Thu Jun 26 05:20:32 PDT 2003

On 2003.06.26 12:51:33 +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35:53PM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:
>
> > But as awk is usually available on other Unixes, I'm apt to rely on it's
> > existance.  So I'd hate to see it go.
>
> There is nothing stopping it being a port/package.

Actually there is. awk is a part of IEEE Std 1003.1, so if we want
FreeBSD to be, or at least as much as possible, a real UNIX it can't be
removed.  It is also used quite a bit in the build system, espcially
since perl was removed.

> The more I look at that list though, the more of them I think could be
> pulled out as external packages/ports

If you are willing to go through all the bikesheding you can try :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen