English Police Officers

Dag-Erling Smorgrav des at ofug.org
Fri Jun 20 07:40:55 PDT 2003

Paul Robinson <paul at iconoplex.co.uk> writes:
> Oh, and in Manchester, some specially trained police have been walking
> around with MP5 machine guns, on and off, for at least the last 10 years
> that I remember. Something to do with a couple of Irish lads who keep on
> trying to kill loads of civilians in offices and shopping malls. But let's
> not get into that (5,000 dead so far), the point is, they have the same guns
> the British Army carry. And they're scary.

Unless I'm very mistaken, the bulk of the British Army carries the
Enfield L85 assault rifles, not the H&K MP5 submachine gun.  SMGs
aren't appropriate for general field use; they are deployed by special
forces, SWAT teams and other units that are mostly involved in short
close-quarters engagments.

DES
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des at ofug.org