FreeBSD Version Release numbers

Mark Valentine mark at valentine.me.uk
Tue Jun 10 03:40:01 PDT 2003

> From: ericr at sourmilk.net (Eric Rivas)
> Date: Tue 10 Jun, 2003
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Version Release numbers

> Does anyone else think it's a good idea that 5.1 should have been called
> 5.0.1, then once 5.x goes stable, start with 5.1?  That way we keep
> consistent in that every x.0 version is considered development/test
> release.

I may just be wierd, but I believe that a 5.0 release should be considered
"stable" in that there should be no significant issues to be worked out;
any problems that surface AFTER the release (despite best effort testing)
should be fixable with a patch release (e.g. 5.0.1).

Anything with remaining issues sufficient to warrant an "early adopter's
guide" should be labelled BETA.

However, given the constraints of the FreeBSD project in the current climate,
and the pressure not to delay a release interminably, the release team's
current approach seems a reasonable compromise.  It would certainly be wrong
to shoe horn 5.1's significant changes into a "patch release" (5.0.1).

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*