kern/122838: [devfs] devfs doesn' t handle complex paths (like zvol/pool/vms) good
avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 25 20:40:04 UTC 2013
The following reply was made to PR kern/122838; it has been noted by GNATS.
From: Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru,
Jaakko Heinonen <jh at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: kern/122838: [devfs] devfs doesn't handle complex paths (like
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:37:44 +0200
Can't believe that we are still where we were more than two years ago...
I think that we have to make this change even if it _might_ break some existing
- current behavior is contrary to any documentation
- current behavior is contrary to common sense
- current behavior is very hard to describe and account for
- I presume that very few people actually fully understand the current behavior
- I presume that even fewer people made a conscious choice to depend or make use
of its non-trivial features of the current behavior
So, we should make the behavior of devfs pattern consistent with the
documentation and the common sense.
In addition to Jaakko's patch I propose that we pass FNM_PATHNAME to fnmatch(9),
so that the matching is indeed consistent with glob(3) / shell glob-ing rules
for filesystem paths.
More information about the freebsd-bugs