Ongoing Bluetooth work; Linux-like APIs?

Bruce M Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Tue Jan 20 09:58:40 PST 2009

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> I wonder though if anyone has considered implementing the Linux APIs ?
>>

> That would be good.  Please ping about it if you don't see it within
> a few weeks.

If folk have cycles to look at that, and are interested in following up,
that is excellent news...

Meanwhile, a good set of pointers would be:
 http://org.csail.mit.edu/pybluez/
 http://lightblue.sourceforge.net/
 http://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/c404.html
 http://code.google.com/p/bluecove/

Broadly there's a surface of interfaces to underlying system services
(e.g. RFCOMM sockets, OBEX libraries, HCI sockets and/or layer access,
and SDP in particular) which needs to be considered. The APIs above
themselves have limitations with things like working with multiple
interfaces, etc.

I had a very brief crack at trying to get BlueCove to work with the
FreeBSD stack, but I couldn't justify the time involved to get it up and
running, given we'd already started building a solution on Linux.

The differences between the Linux and FreeBSD stacks are small but
subtle enough to render generic code incompatible... sigh.

thanks,
BMS