Showstoppers for RPI3

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Feb 26 17:35:43 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 10:07:12AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 08:45 -0800, bob prohaska wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:33:24AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > >
> > > If you want to run freebsd on arm hardware, try using hardware that
> > > people are actually working to support.  If you must use crappy rpi
> > > hardware, either run linux on it, or consider paying someone to do
> > > the
> > > freebsd support you need.
> >
> > How much money is involved? Personally I can't afford to hire
> > somebody,
> > but earmarked contributiions to the FreeBSD Foundation are feasible.
> >
> > What would be required to attract useful attention?
> >

> I don't think earmarked contributions are allowed, at least not
> something earmarked to a specific task or piece of work (as opposed to
> something generic like "use these funds for advocacy").  If they were
> allowed, a company could effectively use an earmarked contribution as a
> way of hiring a contractor to write code, while writing off the money
> paid to her as a charitable contribution to the foundation.

Ok, let's leave out the charitable aspect. It's not the main point.

Permit me to rephrase the question:

How would one go about attracting meaningful developer attention
to making low-power ARM  a Tier-1 platform for FreeBSD? I do not
have the skills to develop. I'd like to use low-power ARM and want
to encourage, so far as I can, the work of those more able.

Is there a bottleneck somewhere outside FreeBSD, perhaps compiler
development?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska