ClearFog Base -- "status: no carrier" for mvneta1

glenn pygr at sonic.net
Wed Oct 3 18:42:18 UTC 2018

Hi Luiz and Marcin,

Thank you for taking an interest in this.

I have looked into the problem further (Google is your friend) and made progress. After modification of the u-boot source before build, the message “status: no carrier” for the second ethernet port no longer appears . The recipe is detailed in the last post in this thread: http://forum.solid-run.com/linux-kernel-and-bootloaders-f34/port-light-is-always-on-does-not-work-t3074.html <http://forum.solid-run.com/linux-kernel-and-bootloaders-f34/port-light-is-always-on-does-not-work-t3074.html>.

It was a surprise to me that modifying u-boot code affected the functioning of the ethernet after control was passed to the OS. Apparently some functionality that is built into u-boot continues to be used by the OS.

In addition to the changes in u-boot mentioned above, the armada-388-clearfog-base.dts was edited to allow the serial console to function. The second line in

serial at 12000 {
                compatible = "marvell,armada-38x-uart”;

was changed to

                compatible = "snps,dw-apb-uart”;

I’m thinking the reason that that enabled the serial console is that FreeBSD doesn’t have a driver that responds to "marvell,armada-38x-uart” but does have one that responds to "snps,dw-apb-uart”.

Glenn