Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint for RPI3 with keyboard and mouse

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 18:52:09 UTC 2018

On 2018-Oct-2, at 11:31 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 19:24:16 -0700
> bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 08:57:04AM +1000, Trevor Roydhouse wrote:
>>>
>>> You just need to change one character in the file
>>> .../sys/arm64/include/pte.h - change the 4 to an 8 in this existing line:
>>>
>>> #define        PMAP_MAPDEV_EARLY_SIZE  (L2_SIZE * 4)
>>>

>> Ok, that wasn't hard 8-)
>>
>> The machine now boots with the monitor connected and continues to run
>> correctly when keyboard and mouse are plugged in.
>>
>> With monitor, keyboard and mouse connected it still spits out a stream of
>> Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint
>> Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint
>> during the boot process. The spew seems continuous, but when I typed
>> boot
>> into the spew, it looks as if the kernel took over and the machine is
>> now multi-user.
>>
>> Evidently it got stuck in loader, the boot command got it unstuck and
>> after that all is normal.
>>
>> So, I guess the video issue was a distraction that's now fixed. The
>> problem with USB mouse and keyboard remain unresolved but nonfatal.
>
> So I've just tested ALPHA8 on my RPI3 and RPI3B+.
>
> With *just* keyboard and mouse plugged in I do not have any problem at
> all.

I could only have one plugged in without a problem,
but it may depend on the specific devices.

> If I plug a cheap usb stick, same, no problem.

> But if I plug my Corsair Voyager USB3, u-boot is really slow to probe
> usb devices. I didn't see the Timeout poll message but I didn't have
> serial connected (I think it doesn't matter since u-boot send all
> prints to every console).

My separate report that listed various combinations
was using a USB 3.0 capable powered hub when a hub was
used and was using media readers/writers that are USB
3.0 capable (4 LUN's per reader/writer, 8 overall). I
forgot to mention the USB-3.0-capable aspect at the
time.

It was so slow overall that it got:

EFI: Watchdog timeout

and only managed to boot a couple of times out of
lots of tries.

So I can confirm your observation is not limited to
your context.

> The RPI u-boot maintainer is aware that there is issue regarding USB
> on RPI3B+, now he's aware that there is some on RPI3.
>
> I see in your mail that you have some usb harddrive or usb stick
> plugged too, can you try without them ?

I happen to have done such in my context already . . .

One of my tests that got "Timeout poll on interrupt endpoint"
messages had no USB devices plugged in other than the keyboard
and mouse that I tried (not even the powered hub). It had the
serial console and Ethernet plugged in but no HDMI.

With just the USB 3.0 capable powered hub plugged in as far
as USB goes, and the keyboard and mouse as the only devices
on the hub, I still got the "Timeout poll on interrupt
endpoint" messages.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com