CUBOX snapshots working?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 26 21:40:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 12:21:52 -0600
> > Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> If we used to provide working cubox images and we don't anymore, it's
> >> hard to call that anything but a freebsd problem.
> >
> >  There is working cubox images, the last one is from yesterday.
> >  You even say yourself that you did test it and that it worked.
> >  Do we even know if the snapshot worked for this board ?
> >  Brett, could you test the 11.0 release for example ? (I don't remember
> > if for 11.1 we already switch u-boot or not).
>
> I believe the change is in the u-boot port itself. However, I don't
> think it's a u-boot problem (IMHO), it's a u-boot build configuration
> problem. There are different board variants with different hardware
> layout. u-boot has code for it, but our build does not account for.
> Unless the scripts that build the 11.1 image use a different revision
> of the u-boot port, wouldn't it just use the current 2017.7 base?
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to generate a u-boot with the correct SPL
> portion of u-boot. One could pull the SolidRun u-boot repo, or go find
> the ports commit before the changeover and see if we can generate the
> correct SPL.
>
> I looked at Mainline u-boot and there is a board directory for solid run.
> https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/board/
> solidrun/mx6cuboxi/mx6cuboxi.c
> seems to support multiple memory configurations based on defines, so
> this should just be a configuration problem.
>
> We clearly need to start supporting the lower spec'd SolidRun boards
> because this has come up a couple of times now since the changeover.
> It should be just a matter of creating a port that does the same thing
> but generates the correct SPL file? My SOM is a i2eX so I can't be too
> much help (and I've also over volunteered myself!).

Creating a new port is like 4 lines long. Generally, you can't mix and
match boards and expect u-boot for one board to work with another. This
sounds like that's the case (where we support one board, and people are
incorrectly using it for others which is causing problems).

I'm happy to integrate a new port, or even write one if you can give me the
specific configuration that's needed.

Warner