Durable/serious arm hardware ?

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:03:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 09:12:01PM +0100, Hagen Kühl wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 01:07:37 -0600
>> Jim Thompson <jim at netgate.com> wrote:
>>
>> > We have a little two port router based on the same SoC as the BBB.  I
>> > selected that platform as one of the better supported platforms on
>> > FreeBSD.  It still took a lot of (months of) work to make the freebsd
>> > (and subsequently pfSense) for it into something that could be a
>> > "product".  All the FreeBSD work is in the tree.  Most vendors don't
>> > do that. That's not a humble brag, it's a statement of truth.
>> >
>> > We're currently in discussions with a vendor to get the Ethernet
>> > driver for our next ARM product, since, ..., it's not in the tree.
>>
>> It's great that you're doing this work, especially committing it back
>> into the tree.
>>
>> What I would also be interested in, is a solution for an ARM based
>> wireless access point running FreeBSD. Right now I have one of my
>> Raspberry Pis set up to do it, but the wireless performance leaves
>> something to be desired.
>>
>> Do you have any tips on what to use for that?
>
> I wished we had PCI-Express support for the iMX6.
> A Novena Board (probably not easy to source in the long run), or a
> Technexion board have Mini-PCIe slots in which you can fit WiFi cards.
> SDIO-WiFi (unsupported right now) and USB-WiFi are not the best
> solutions for various reasons.

There are a few good iMX6 boards out there. There are quite a few
things not supported unfortunately.

<notice of amateurs opinion>
SDIO wifi seems to be very common now, with quite a few chip vendors
using it (But Mr. Chadd would be a better person to verify that).
Using SDIO saves a PCIe or USB slot and can more than support 802.11n
for throughput (from my understanding).
</notice of amateurs opinion>

The SDIO driver is in the dev tree, but Mr. Losh seems to be working
on the arguably higher priority u-boot fragmentation. On a personal
note, I just moved into a house and may soon have a spare room for a
lab and some time to try and help out with SDIO or iMX6 stuff. Here's
to wishful thinking! ;)

Russ