arm board purchase for 2017

jungle boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:38:57 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'd like to purchase a SoC arm system and run FreeBSD on it and possibly
openbsd, if it's supported. My go to purchase I was thinking of was a
raspberry pi3 because of the great support coming along with it in FreeBSD.

At the moment I don't plan on doing any hardware hacking, mostly
software stuff like seeing how freeswitch would run/build on freebsd
ARM, postgres building, possibly tinc and dn42 VPN stuff, etc.

Is the raspberry pi the preferred board for software hacking, or is
there something a bit better but still under $100US that's preferred?

Contenders I'm aware of:
banana pi
cubieboard
odroid
pandaboard
parallela
raspberry pi

I own a beaglebone black right now and it runs -current. I also own a
pine64, which is running Debian. I haven't yet tried out freeBSD on it.
I know (and thankful for) Brad makes images for it. Does anyone know how
it's performing?

Outside the arm world, has anyone tried freeBSD on a MinnowBoard?
https://www.minnowboard.org/

Thanks for any input!

I did read through this thread but I'm not looking for industrial usage:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2017-January/015443.html

Best!