Beaglebone Black + FreeBSD + USB WiFi = WAP?

Chris Gordon freebsd at theory14.net
Wed Aug 23 00:56:26 UTC 2017

Ilya,

Thanks for the follow up.

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Ilya Bakulin <ilya at bakulin.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> have you found the issue already?

I have not.  See below for some theories...

> If not: what does `top -Sa` show when you're running your speed test?
> Specifically what does "CPU:" line look like, and what are the top processes in the list?

The system stays at >90% idle through the entire test (upload and download).  I see 2-4% WCPU for interrupts and 1-2% for USB.

> I've had an issue with FreeBSD acting as WAP (although using Atheros-based NIC) some years ago,
> the problem back then was that the machine CPU was just too slow to process the traffic.

I had initially thought that maybe the little CPU in the BeagleBone wasn’t up to the WPA encryption or the interrupt rate + usb where just too much for it.  Sometimes changing channels helps for a little bit.  Since I’ve been tinkering with this little project, I’ve been paying a bit more attention to my overall WiFi performance and I’m beginning to think there are just too many WiFi signals nearby and congestion is just killing my overall WiFi performance.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris