Beaglebone Black + FreeBSD + USB WiFi = WAP?

Ilya Bakulin ilya at bakulin.de
Tue Aug 22 19:11:22 UTC 2017

Hi Chris,

have you found the issue already?
If not: what does `top -Sa` show when you're running your speed test?
Specifically what does "CPU:" line look like, and what are the top
processes in the list?

I've had an issue with FreeBSD acting as WAP (although using
Atheros-based NIC) some years ago,
the problem back then was that the machine CPU was just too slow to
process the traffic.

On 2017-08-02 22:33, Chris Gordon wrote:
> NOTE:  I posted this to freebsd-questions@ a few days ago and didn’t
> get any responses.  If this list isn’t appropriate, I apologize in
> advance.
>

> Is anyone using a BeagleBone Black and USB Wifi as a WAP?  If so, what
> kind of throughput do you get on your Wifi?  I’m getting very bad
> network performance.
>
> Hardware:
>
> - BeagleBone Black rev C.
> - Tried with two different USB Wifi Adapters:
> 	- Edimax N150 (small nub type adapter)
> 	- LB Link from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1030)
> 	- Both show as RTL8188CUS chips (via dmesg)
> - Wired connection connected for access to my network and internet
>
> OS:
>
> -  Mostly with the most recent Beaglebone Snapshot of 11.0
> -  A few quick tests with the 11. snapshot image
>
> Connection Speeds:
>
> - Using nuttcp (over 100Mbps ethernet) between the BB and another
> machine, I can get ~90+ Mbps in each direction  so I don’t think there
> is an issue with that part of the connection.
> - Using the BB as a WAP and connection my iPad I see 1 to 5 Mbps down
> and < 1 Mbps tested via the Ookla Speedtest app.
> - Connecting to my ancient Netgear WAP using the same app and test, I
> get roughly 10 Mbps in either direction with the same test.
>

> Configs (pretty much taken right from the handbook):
>
> /boot/loader.conf:
>
> if_urtwn_load="YES"
> wlan_mac_load="YES"
>
> /etc/rc.conf (relevant parts)
>
> ifconfig_cpsw0="inet XX.XX.XX.XX netmask 0xffffff00”
> defaultrouter=“YY.YY.YY.YY"
> hostapd_enable="YES"
> wlans_urtwn0="wlan0"
> create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
> ifconfig_wlan0="up"
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> ifconfig_bridge0="addm cpsw0 addm wlan0 up”
>
> /etc/hostapd.conf
>
> interface=wlan0
> debug=1
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
> ssid=REDACTED
> wpa=2
> wpa_passphrase=REDACTED
> wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> wpa_pairwise=CCMP
>

> Any ideas?  Is this just the limit of USB wifi on this board?
>

> Thanks,
> Chris

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Ilya Bakulin