Just FYI: FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64.raw under qemu on odroid-c2 Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Sun Sep 25 10:02:09 UTC 2016

This is just an FYI about my attempt to use FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64.raw under Ubuntu's qemu on an odroid-c2. (This is my first ever use of qemu. I've no clue about how well the qemu for this context works --or how well for any other context.)

Context of use of FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE:

> Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.14.79-83 aarch64)
. . .
> root at odroid64:~# uname -ap
> Linux odroid64 3.14.79-83 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 22 13:47:47 BRT 2016 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

> qemu-system-aarch64 -m 1024M -enable-kvm -cpu host -M virt \
>         -bios QEMU_EFI.fd -nographic \
>         -drive format=raw,if=none,file=FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64.raw,id=hd0 \
>         -device virtio-blk-device,drive=hd0 \
>         -device virtio-net-device,netdev=net0 \
>         -netdev user,id=net0 \
>         -smp cpus=4

Note the "-nographic".

The QEMU_EFI.fd is from:

https://releases.linaro.org/components/kernel/uefi-linaro/15.12/release/qemu64/QEMU_EFI.fd

> # freebsd-version -ku; uname -apKU
> 11.0-RELEASE
> 11.0-RELEASE
> FreeBSD odroidc2FBSD 11.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE #0 r306211: Fri Sep 23 11:42:02 UTC 2016     root at releng2.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/arm64.aarch64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  arm64 aarch64 1100122 1100122

Issue #0: "random" illegal instruction faults in FreeBSD use

Example *.core file names for an occasional "illegal instruction" (other times the same command works fine):

cron.core
fsck_ufs.core
ifconfig.core
login.core
ntpd.core
route.core
sh.core
shutdown.core
top.core
vi.core

All these programs usually/frequently work fine.

Some programs tend to not leave .core files and cause me to have to log in again when they get the illegal instruction fault. ps is a command that has had this happen.

Issue #1: command input/output stops

For both the serial console and an ssh into Ubuntu from which I start up qemu for FreeBSD. . .

Special keys, such as up-arrow for command line recall, stop the input/output for typing commands and such. It is ignoring what is typed (not just not displaying it). I end up having to kill the qemu-system-aarch64 process from Ubuntu or use "Control-a x". Sometimes "Control-a x" does not work.

Sometimes pasting text into the window cause such input/output hangups in FreeBSD use.

Usually qemu's "Control-A x" sequence will quit qemu. So usually there must be some amount of processing of what is typed but at some stage the text is otherwise being ignored. (I normally kill qemu-system-aarch64 from another Ubuntu command shell.)

Other point(s):

I've not managed to get FreeBSD qemu to even ping a numeric address ("No route to host"). But this may be just my current ignorance of how things are supposed to be configured, both in Ubuntu and in FreeBSD and on the command line options to qemu-system-aarch64. I've not put much effort into figuring such out given the more basic problems above. (The environment the attempt was done from is dhcp based.)

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net