How to Xbuild to BBB?

O'Connor, Daniel darius at dons.net.au
Sun Jul 19 23:53:50 UTC 2015

> On 20 Jul 2015, at 02:43, Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 18, 2015, at 5:26 PM, O'Connor, Daniel <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to update a running BBB system?
>
> Native builds work pretty well, though it takes a bit longer.

Slight understatement :)
Also I think it requires adding swap which greatly slows things down :(

> In particular, if you have more than one BBB, you should be able to NFS-mount and build on one, then install on the others.
>
> If you only want to update the kernel, you should be able to cross-build and then use installkernel on the build host to put all the kernel bits into a directory, then just copy that directory (with all modules, etc.).

I guess that is probably the least painful way to do it.

> I don’t know a good way to cross-build and update world, though.

What a pity :(
It seems so silly to build on a (relatively) slow computer when a much faster one is sitting right next to it (especially when that faster computer build the original image :)

> There’s another way to look at this problem, though:  Can you copy $YourCustomStuff from your old image onto a new image instead of copying $NewFreeBSDBits onto your old image?
>
> This is essentially the approach I’ve been trying to push through with Crochet.  If I could figure out how to install packages into the image on the build host, I would be most of the way there.

True, I could probably do that.
Still pretty surprised there doesn't seem to be a way to cross-installworld though.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."