How to Xbuild to BBB?

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun Jul 19 17:14:07 UTC 2015

> On Jul 18, 2015, at 5:26 PM, O'Connor, Daniel <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to update a running BBB system?

Native builds work pretty well, though it takes a bit longer.

In particular, if you have more than one BBB, you should be able to NFS-mount and build on one, then install on the others.

If you only want to update the kernel, you should be able to cross-build and then use installkernel on the build host to put all the kernel bits into a directory, then just copy that directory (with all modules, etc.).

I don’t know a good way to cross-build and update world, though.

There’s another way to look at this problem, though:  Can you copy $YourCustomStuff from your old image onto a new image instead of copying $NewFreeBSDBits onto your old image?

This is essentially the approach I’ve been trying to push through with Crochet.  If I could figure out how to install packages into the image on the build host, I would be most of the way there.

Cheers,

Tim