Utilite support

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 21 15:36:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 14:04 +0100, Waschbüsch Martin wrote:
> > Am 20.11.2014 um 18:19 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian at FreeBSD.org>:
> >
> > There is some chance that "it might just work."  Actually a better
> > chance now than when I originally wrote that. :)  Try using crochet for
> > wandboard and in the wandboard kernel config file change FDT_DTS_FILE to
> > "imx6q-cm-fx6.dts".  There's a good chance you'll end up with a bootable
> > image on an sdcard.
> >
> > You will need a serial console for debugging, we don't support a video
> > console yet on imx6 systems.  The Compulab FitPc2 x86 systems need a
> > special serial debugging cable that you have to buy separately.  I hope
> > that's not also the case with Utilite.
> >
> > -- Ian
>
> Hello Ian,
>
> I tried to follow your suggestion, but realized that there might be
> a significant difference between Wandboard and Utilite: Utilite does
> not read u-boot from disk. Instead, it holds u-boot as 'firmware' in
> a flash module.
> Don't know why I had not realized this earlier, but anyway, I guess
> if I had compiled it before, I would have noticed. So far I had played
> around with pre-built Wandboard images...
> What this means is that the current crochet scripts will fail because
> the u-boot compilation for cm-fx6 will not output a u-boot.imx file and
> is probably not needed anyway.
> What I will try next is make a copy of crochet's boards/Wandboard to
> boards/Utilite and try to adapt the setup.sh script.
> Questions:
> Are there requirements that u-boot must meet in order to boot ubldr? If
> so, I'll have to look into rebuilding u-boot plus flashing that.
>
> Martin

I'll attach the patches I use for building u-boot (I use the uboot for
Technexion EDM modules for Wandboard too; wandboard uses technexion
modules).  The API option is the main one for running ubldr.

Check whether the uboot on the Utilite has the 'bmode' command.  You may
be able to insert an sdcard with a new uboot and freebsd on it and say
"bmode mmc0" (or mmc1 or whatever) and the system will reset and boot
from the sdcard instead of the flash.

My Cubox i4pro arrived yesterday.  Its uboot doesn't have the API option
(they almost never do; linux doesn't use it).  I tried compiling the dtb
into the kernel and launching it directly, and that fails because the
cubox dts doesn't have a memory=<> property.  I think the uboot probably
figures out the amount of ram and modifies the dtb it passes to the
kernel.  Ick.  I hacked around that and now the kernel hangs as soon as
initarm() installs new page tables.

So the barriers to launching a non-linux kernel using just what a system
vendor provides are even bigger than I had imagined.

-- Ian