Raspberry Pi B+ as a thin client

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Fri Nov 7 01:17:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

as we use the Raspberry for other things, I thought, why not have it
tested as a thin client. Ok, it works. X can be installed. I then used
blackbox as the local window manager.

It is not a problem to run programs via telnet but the moment X comes
into the game, things will get slow. The most anoying thing is the mouse
which drags behind and then suddenly jumps.

I am a bit surprised as I used to use a Transmeta Crusoe machine as a
thin client for years without these problems and thought that the
little Raspberry is just fast enough to do this.

Does anybody here has some positive experience with other ARM-based
machines runnning as thin clients?

Erich