Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Mar 6 03:24:25 UTC 2013

On 03/05/13 17:59, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 12:20 -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
>> Hi, I'd like to get involved in cleaning up/helping mature the
>> Freebsd Rasperry Pi image. It's a fantastic platform but some
>> things are broken especially the package manager as it seems to not
>> correctly resolve the FTP repository, or incorrectly looks for tzb
>> files or looks for a directory called ARMv6 when in fact the txz
>> files are in the ARM folder.
>>
>> Please not this is my first such post so if the formatting or post
>> is in the wrong list, I do apologize in advance.
>>
>> Jad
>
> I don't think I quite understand your question, which is not too
> surprising since I know almost nothing about ports and packages.  I
> do want to make sure you get a response from someone who knows about
> these things; I've added one such person to the CC list.
>
> One thing that confuses me about your question is the reference to
> the ftp repository... I don' think there are any arm packages being
> built and distributed by the FreeBSD project right now.  Are you
> trying to set up your own local repository, or connect to a private
> one somewhere?

I think my read on this is: there is no default PACKAGESITE set for
pkgng in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf for the builds, which means pkgng
doesn't work as it should, so Jad is offering to assist in resolving this.

Cool, Jad.  And you're on the right list, and my MUA sees your email fine!

So there is no official package or port repository yet for FreeBSD arm
architecture.  A number of people are maintaining public yet individual
sites, but nothing official yet.

Whether or not you're a developer, jump aboard and look at Tim's and
Gonzo's scripts for start.

But start building images and customizing them.  Play.  Enjoy.  And feel
free to jump in and ask questions.