Booting Beagleboard Black

Oleksandr Tymoshenko gonzo at bluezbox.com
Sun Jul 7 03:18:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-06, at 6:17 PM, hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Tom Everett <tom at khubla.com> wrote:
>> I've built a kernel using crochet, and copied the resulting .img file to a
>> micro SD card.  I followed the simple instructions here:
>>
>> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/tree/master/board/BeagleBone
>>
>> When I reset the board using the reset button on the BBB, I get three blue
>> lights lit on the USB, and nothing happens.  Can anyone give a BBB newb a
>> hand?
>
> So, you need to hold the boot button for a few (2 to 3) seconds before
> powering it on. That way it will boot from the sd card.
>
> Locate boot button:
> http://learn.adafruit.com/beaglebone-black-installing-operating-systems/flashing-the-beaglebone-black

I just nuked partition table on MMC1 (internal memory card). It made zero-stage
boot loader boot from external SD card. You can do it by breaking to u-boot prompt
and executing following sequence

# mmc dev 1
# mmc erase 0 512

Do it only if you 100% sure you know what you're doing and you don't have any
data you need  on mmc1. I don't think this command can inflict irreparable
damage since you can always re-flash internal MMC card.