Booting Beagleboard Black

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Sun Jul 7 01:22:08 UTC 2013

On Jul 6, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Tom Everett <tom at khubla.com> wrote:

> I've built a kernel using crochet, and copied the resulting .img file to a
> micro SD card.  I followed the simple instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/tree/master/board/BeagleBone
>
> When I reset the board using the reset button on the BBB, I get three blue
> lights lit on the USB, and nothing happens.  Can anyone give a BBB newb a
> hand?

You're holding down the wrong button. :-)  You need to hold down the user boot switch at the other end, near the micro SD card.  See https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BeagleBoneBlack for details.  (See http://learn.adafruit.com/system/assets/assets/000/008/680/original/BeagleBoneBlack.jpeg?1369065340 for location of button.)

BTW, is it possible to put a boot loader on the eMMC so that it will always try and boot FreeBSD from the micro SD card?  Alternatively, is it possible to make the FreeBSD boot loader/layout on the BeagleBone Black compatible with the Angstrom boot loader?  It appears to look for an ext2 file system if the micro SD card is present.  Would a BeagleBone Black image that uses ext2 be bootable by the resident Angstrom system?

Cheers,

Paul.