porting freebsd to at91sam9g45 ( SBC6045 board)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jan 8 03:02:19 UTC 2012

On Jan 7, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Greg Ansley wrote:

> AT91_DBGU_BASE and AT91SAM9G20_BASE are set to 0xD0000000 even though physical base
> address for Internal Peripherals for the sam9g20 is 0xF0000000 because that is
> where they are mapped to in kernel VM.
>
> Contrary to the comment at the top of the declaration of at91_devmap in at91_machdep.c  If
> you look closely at the very first value, it is 0xdff00000 not 0xfff00000 resulting in the
> peripherals being mapped to 0x10000000 lower than their physical values.
>
> This was a choice may be someone before I added the AT91SAMG20 support and I did not
> have a compelling reason to change it and did not what to try to figure out
> if there would be any unforeseen consequences if I did.

This value originally was 0xf0000000, but was changed to 0xd0000000 during the development of the AT91RM9200 support.  We changed this because we were seeing some aliasing problems with 1:1 mapping that resulted in instability in the system under load.  Once we made this change, all those problems went away.  Ollivier Houchard spotted the issue while he and I were debugging some strange crashes.

> So if you do change choose to change it you are going to need to change the AT91xxx_BASE
> values for all the different SOCs we currently support. Don't forget get someone to test
> on the other chips if you do!

And test it under load.

Warner