at91 SoC separation

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue May 26 17:13:24 UTC 2009

In message: <200905261551.n4QFpt1w084810 at casselton.net>
            Mark Tinguely <tinguely at casselton.net> writes:
:
: As a side, slightly off-topic note, I have been thinking of the whole boot
: process.
:
: The different ARM architecture/board boot sequences are basically the same.
: I agree that the main difference between the different ARM boards are the
: difference in the locations of devices map.
:
: Right now, the init_arm() manually allocates the "level one" page tables
: so they are available for the pmap_devmap_bootstrap() call.
:
: The devmap bootstrap can be modified to automatically allocate any missing
: "level one" page tables from the end of the free memory pointer. The
: updated end of free memory is sent back to the initialation routine.
: Add a few calls for architecture initialization and ever board can use
: the same boot routine.

That's another can of worms that we need to detangle :)

I rather like this idea.  I also like the idea of having different
boot loader front ends that drive this rather than having the SoC code
drive it.  We are a little too tightly coupled between boot loader and
soc at the moment as well.

The work isn't horribly hard, just tedious because you have to run
down a bunch of different boards we support and see why the routines
are different and account for those differences, or hopefully,
eliminate them.  It is the latter that's going to be a challenge.

Warner